The Tasmanian Fire Service (TFS) is warning of the dangers of spontaneous combustion, after a near miss at the historic Shipwright's Arms Hotel in Battery Point overnight.
Fourteen guests had to be evacuated in near-freezing conditions just before 5:00am on Saturday, after a fire broke out in a clothes dryer in the kitchen.
The TFS said it was caused by oil-soaked tea towels being left in the dryer after the drying cycle.
A guest alerted the hotel's owner to smoke in the building, before fire crews arrived and threw the smouldering dryer into the street over concerns it would explode.
It was then hosed down.
"I'd only been in bed for about three hours, we'd had a huge night," licensee Tony Kennedy said.
Read more: Hobart's historic Shipwright's Arms Hotel evacuated after fire ... - ABC - ABC Online